[GRASS-dev] [bug #4899] (grass) v.in.ogr in tcltk: open datasource dialog does not allow to select directoy

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Tue Jul 25 00:37:27 EDT 2006

I thought about mentioning this too. There is no parser for choosing a
directory. However, there is a TclTk dialog for opening a directory, so
potentially this could be added to the parser. But...

...to import Shapefiles and MapInfo MIF files, you need to specify a
directory as the data source and the file as the layer. But to import a
multilayered DGN file, you specify a file as the data source and the
internal layer as a layer to import.

In both cases, OGR is looking for a data source. But in some cases it treats
a directory as a data source and in others it treats a file as a data
source. I kind of understand--conceptually--why.

IMHO, it would make more sense to simply have OGR always look for files and
simply ignore the layer option for entities like shapefiles and MIF files
that don't have internal layers, rather than trying to make them fit with
multilayered files like DGN. But this should go to the GDAL list I guess.

Michael
Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
Arizona State University

phone: 480-965-6213