[GRASS-user] RE: [GRASS-dev] Re: [OTT_OSGEO] GRASS OSGEO Steering Committee

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Jul 25 15:27:08 EDT 2006

Sampson, David wrote:
> Just some thoughts
>

>   o Core OSGeo rules (ie. not improperly incorporating others code into
>     the code base) need to be followed.
>
> Is this not already a given?...

Dave,

Obviously, it is the normal practice, but going forward we may need
to be more explicit and careful about what is acceptable to contribute
and what is not.  I know there were a number of items I played a bit
fast and loose with in GDAL that I'm being more careful as GDAL becomes
a GDAL project.

>   o The process needs to be open to additional contributors in some
>     fashion.
>
> How is this different than the current process?

This isn't a problem for the GRASS project which has certainly been
quite open to additional contributors for as long as I have had any
association.  Keep in mind the various items I pointed out are general
requirements of OSGeo.  Just because I mention them doesn't mean I think
GRASS has a problem with them.

 From my point of view the main issues with GRASS for incubation into OSGeo
are the legal review of code (hard because there is so much code accumulated
over such a long period of time), and establishing a functioning PSC.  The
PSC shouldn't be terribly hard since GRASS already has had a very consensus
oriented decision making approach.  It's just that the decision making
approach so far is so informal as to defy knowing if a decision has been
made or not!

Best regards,