[GRASS-dev] Re: Compilation errors in GRASS for Mac

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Tue Jul 25 22:17:28 EDT 2006

On Jul 25, 2006, at 6:52 PM, Michael Barton wrote:

> Well,
>
> I had a few bits of time and squeezed in a couple of attempts to
> recompile
> GRASS for Mac OSX PPC.
>
> In the end, I reverted to Lorenzo Moretti's libraries and the
> configure
> script that had worked before with them.

Were you having other problems?

> rasters won't display in the TclTk canvas. Vectors will display,
> but rasters
> won't. They are present (I can test with r.what), but you can't see
> them.
> I'm pretty sure that it has to do with transparency, mask, or the
> like in
> the PNG driver. Have there been any very recent changes that might
> affect
> this?
>
> NVIZ is still broken, even in the x11 version (which is what I
> compiled).

Still?  Hmm, I just built the snapshot from this weekend, and
everything works as expected (NVIZ/X11 OK, gis.m display OK).

> D.PATH
> anthgradpc7:~/grass_dev/grass6/display cmbarton$ cd d.path
> anthgradpc7:~/grass_dev/grass6/display/d.path cmbarton$ make
> gcc -L/Users/cmbarton/grass_dev/grass6/dist.powerpc-apple-
> darwin8.7.0/lib
> -L/usr/local/grasslib/lib  -L/usr/local/pgsql/lib
> -I/usr/local/grasslib/include     -DPACKAGE=\""grassmods"\" -o
> /Users/cmbarton/grass_dev/grass6/dist.powerpc-apple-darwin8.7.0/bin/
> d.path
> OBJ.powerpc-apple-darwin8.7.0/main.o OBJ.powerpc-apple-darwin8.7.0/
> select.o
> -lgrass_display -lgrass_raster -lgrass_vect -lgrass_dig2 -lgrass_dgl
> -lgrass_rtree -lgrass_linkm -lgrass_dbmiclient -lgrass_dbmibase
> -L/usr/local/grasslib/lib -lgdal -lgrass_dgl -lgrass_dbmiclient
> -lgrass_dbmibase  -lgrass_gis -lgrass_datetime -lz   -lintl  -lz
> /usr/bin/ld: warning prebinding disabled because dependent library:
> /Applications/Grass/grass61cvs.app/Contents/Resources/grass-6.1.cvs/
> lib/libg
> rass_display.dylib is not prebound
> /usr/bin/ld: multiple definitions of symbol _trans
> /Users/cmbarton/grass_dev/grass6/dist.powerpc-apple-darwin8.7.0/lib/
> libgrass
> _raster.dylib(com_io.o) definition of _trans
> /Users/cmbarton/grass_dev/grass6/dist.powerpc-apple-darwin8.7.0/lib/
> libgrass
> _gis.dylib(icon.o) definition of _trans
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make: ***
> [/Users/cmbarton/grass_dev/grass6/dist.powerpc-apple-darwin8.7.0/
> bin/d.path]
> Error 1

The gcc line looks comparable to what I get.  The first warning about
not prebinding makes me wonder - which version of GCC are you using?
I think prebinding on on by default in GCC 3.3, and I've found that
ported stuff generally in not configured for prebinding and fails.
Probably nothing to do with the make errors causing problems itself,
but GCC 3.3... that might cause multiple defs to be considered errors.

I suspect that, with Lorenzo's script, it's switching to GCC 3.3 to
maintain Panther compatibility (tho that would have to happen with a
sudo).  The other thing that might affect prebinding and other
linking options is MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET, which defaults to 10.1.
I have mine set to 10.3 in my .bash_profile.

PS. very close to frameworks and a standalone universal GRASS app.
^_^  Lorenzo - do you have any description on how to use your GRASS
start app Xcode project or how it works?  Any updates to it? (it's
over a year old)

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"I ache, therefore I am.  Or in my case - I am, therefore I ache."

- Marvin