[GRASS-dev] maybe bugs

Maciej Sieczka tutey at o2.pl
Thu Jul 27 13:41:10 EDT 2006

Martin Wegmann napisa?(a):
> On Thursday 27 July 2006 14:29, Maciej Sieczka wrote:
>> Martin Wegmann napisa?(a):

>> Maybe this explains: gis.m doesn't read nor write to the WIND file,
>> while d.zoom/g.region do. What you change with d.zoom/g.region will not
>> affect gis.m display (unless you press 'Zoom to current region' from
>> gis.m menu) and vice versa: if you zoom/pan in the gis.m canvas it will
>> not affect WIND file, ie. current region settings. Check with g.region
>> -p for yourself.
>
> it means, if I zoom into a region with gis.m and say 'g.region save=XX' in the
> CLI and afterwards "zoom to .. region" it won't work - I tried it - well it
> does not make sense for me who is working on the CLI and GUI.
>
> How do I define a new region, if gis.m and g.region does not talk to each
> other?

There is a 'Set current region (WIND file) to match display' in the
'Zoom to...' menu. I haven't used it ever (I'm using gis.m very little
at all), but I guess it's for such purpose (I only wonder how it behaves
in different drawing modes ('Constrain map to region geometry' and 'Map
filles display window') as well as if it doesn't have problems with
resolution allignment. Please give a try and report back if you don't mind.

>>> zoom into map
>>> zoom out: very elongated rectangle
>>> map becomes smaller but is squeezed to one border (depending of the
>>> orientation of the elongated rectangle)

>> In of gis.m you have drawing modes:
>> Constrain map to region geometry
>> Map filles display window
>>
>> The first mode behaves pretty much like d.zoom (only it doesn't modify
>> WIND file), the latter is maybe what you are looking for.

> thanks, now I found the buttons on the right hand side - ,-)
>
> well but it does not explain why the visible extend (white space vs. grey
> background) becomes smaller and smaller (by zooming out with very elongated
> rectangle) when selecting "constrain map to region geometry", does it?

You propably have a point here. Michael?

>> I suppose this is all your missundersting of region handling in gis.m.
>
> hmm, probably, thanks so far; I think I have to become more accustomed to
> gis.m.

Honestly - me too :).

Maciek