[GRASS-dev] startup

Paul Kelly paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk
Mon Jul 31 11:06:25 EDT 2006

Hello everyone
To be honest I think the wording still confuses things a little. Simply
because it takes more than 2 or 3 words to explain the concepts of
location, mapset, region, co-ordinate system and GIS database. Perhaps
better to have minimal wording in the start-up screen and a more detailed
explanation in tool-tip help?

When I started using GRASS I hated how complicated it all was and how much
it made me think about my data and co-ordinate systems but now I really
appreciate that---because a thorough understanding of locations, regions
etc. is essential to ensuring you get meaningful results out of your GIS
analyses.

FWIW I don't think the text in the text-based start-up screen is too bad.
Here is my slightly improved version of it:

LOCATION: This is the name of a geographic location. It is defined by a
           co-ordinate system and a rectangular boundary. -spearfish- is
           the sample LOCATION provided with GRASS.

MAPSET:   Every GRASS session runs under a particular MAPSET. Associated
           with each MAPSET is a rectangular REGION and a set of maps.

DATABASE: This is the unix directory containing all the GRASS locations.

          The REGION defaults to the entire area of the chosen LOCATION.
          You may change it later with the command: g.region

Paul