[GRASS-dev] startup

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Mon Jul 31 18:10:57 EDT 2006

I think tooltips, info buttons, and popup message dialogs are a good idea.
The problem is that the TclTk code for the startup screen is perhaps a
decade old and very primitive (at least from my perspective). It doesn't
permit tooltips and new buttons are hard to add, especially formatted to
look nice, be in the right place (next to or below titles, for example), and
not take up an inordinate amount of room.

The intro needs to be rewritten from scratch, with bwidgets added so that
tooltips can be done and the code updated to make it look and function
better. I've started messing with it a couple of times and realized what a
chore it is and dropped it because of other more pressing concerns. After
repeatedly having to explain what was needed to just start GRASS, however, I
finally settled for spiffing up the existing screen as much as possible. But
I'm starting to run short on time as the summer comes to a close, and don't
know whether it's worth the investment to rewrite it from the ground up.

However, if someone wants to take a crack at it...

Michael
Arizona State University

phone: 480-965-6213
fax: 480-965-7671