[GRASS-dev] gis.m: cannot get profile from profile tool

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Mon Jul 31 22:43:04 EDT 2006

Eric,

It sounds like you are doing this correctly. I think in the version you are
using (check the tooltips), the 1st button on the left sets the raster you
want to profile. In that version, it uses r.info to set the elevation range.
A problem with this is that it can only determine the total range for the
entire map, which may be much greater than the range of the area you are
profiling. This is changed in the version I just committed today. The new
version uses r.univar, which honors the displayed region in calculating
elevation range. The elevation range is used to set the vertical scale, and
the conversion between elevation units and screen units.

The second button from the left lets you draw a transect line to profile.

The third button runs r.profile twice. The first time it simply get's the
max distance along the line reported by r.profile and stores it to the
variable cumdist (cumulative distance). It then uses this to value to set
the horizontal scale and the conversion between horizontal map units and
screen units. This is necessary to deal with latlon regions.

It then runs r.profile again to generate the actual profile values, as a
list of distance, elevation. These are converted to screen values and
plotted to the profile graph. This was having some issues with negative
values, giving unexpected results. I also fixed that today.

So I'm not sure what the problem is for you. You might run r.profile on the
same set of end coordinates and see what it produces. If you have negative
elevation values, it might be problematic in the version you have. If
r.profile is choking for some reason, that would also be a cause.

If you want to try out the new one, simply use the web access to the cvs, go
to grass6/gui/tcltk/gis.m/profile.tcl and download it. Then move it into
your $GISBASE/etc/gm folder. It's just a text file, so it should not be a
problem.

Michael

Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
Arizona State University