[GRASS-dev] Python GUI toolkits

Jachym Cepicky jachym.cepicky at centrum.cz
Wed Jun 7 16:18:05 EDT 2006

Hi,

On Wed, Jun 07, 2006 at 09:53:48AM -0700, David Finlayson wrote:
> It looks like v.pyedit is written in pyGTK rather than wxPython. Will
> v.pygtk run natively on Windows or Apple?

Should run

> Will it look like a native application?

AFAIK now, does it harm? My experience with Gaim on windows area, that
it looks almost like the native gui apps. My mother is using gaim and
she has no problem with that, how it looks like.

> From my brief look at the toolkits, it seemed that wxPython was a
> little more cross platform friendly because it used native widgets.

I was asking other users, if they could live with Gtk gui. Nobody
answared. I do not understand, why any GUI should look "native". It
should just be intuitive.

I'm developing v.pydigit mostly for studing purposes. At the end should
we be on the beginning of the new GRASS GUI (if any). v.pydigit should
show, how to write things and show the posibilities and advantages of 3
tools:

    * python
    * glade
    * gtk+

I thing, I can say now, that these tools

    * are making gui development fast and easy even for non-programers
    * the gui can be "fast enough" for common usage
    * it is possible to run it even on not-so-well equiped computers
    --
    * I like the way, Gtk+ apps are looking/can look.
    --

IIRC, there is no tool for wxWindows, which would act similar to Glade.
Glade is producing XML files. What I read, the best tool like glade for

Anyway, if you or anybody else will start to develop any other GUI using
wxWindows, you can count with me.

BTW: New version of v.pydigit is able to digitize lines, boundaries,
points and centroids. You can edit your attribute table and add
attributes to new digitized features. I wrote some summary to another
e-mail, but it did not come to this list so far.

I newver said, v.pydigit will/should be *the* grass GUI or *the* grass
digitalisation tool. The more it can, the more I thing, I would start
from scratch and build most of the app again more as real GUI framework
and not only one-tool program. But it could be here, until we will not
have something more common, and people could use it for their common
work. I hope to make it work better (user friendlier), than v.digit ever was
(I'll see, how much time I'll have, this is not my only project and not
the most importand one)

Jachym
--
Jachym Cepicky