[GRASS-dev] Python GUI toolkits

David Finlayson david.p.finlayson at gmail.com
Wed Jun 7 16:49:03 EDT 2006

I am sure your work is great and greatly appreciated! For what it is
worth, I use Gnome on Linux, so I agree with you about GTK looking
good---it does to me anyway.

I was mainly concerned about Apple users. The last I heard, GTK was
not easy to install on Apple OSX and many apple users have a natural
revulsion to non-native apps (I don't own an apple so I don't
understand myself). Windows has never had a standard GUI so it is less
of an issue with Windows users.

I was toying with the idea of creating a Matlab or R-style GUI for
grass. The idea would be to have a command line interface with helper
applications such as graphics monitors, text editor, file browser,
help-system, etc. All accessible from tool bars. People seem to really
like Matlab once they learn it and I thought that if a grass version
were done right, even guys like me might use it (which means that I
better write code that I want to use!).

If the "shell" were Python, I could build most of this out of the
default tools in wxPython. In fact, I got a basic editor up and
running in about 100 lines of code!
All the pieces are there for display, editing, python interpreter,
color pickers etc.
I was looking at the XML specification for GUIs which could build a
GUI for command line tools on the fly the way gis.m does now. And the
framework seems flexible enough to make it really easy to add new
tools by non-programmers who know a few things about Python.

All that being said. It would be a real pain to maintain programs in 3
different GUI frameworks. If pyGTK works, maybe I ought to look at
that for my GUI.

David

--
David Finlayson