[GRASS-dev] Python GUI toolkits

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Wed Jun 7 19:39:34 EDT 2006

David Finlayson wrote:

> I am sure your work is great and greatly appreciated! For what it is
> worth, I use Gnome on Linux, so I agree with you about GTK looking
> good---it does to me anyway.
>
> I was mainly concerned about Apple users. The last I heard, GTK was
> not easy to install on Apple OSX and many apple users have a natural
> revulsion to non-native apps (I don't own an apple so I don't
> understand myself). Windows has never had a standard GUI so it is less
> of an issue with Windows users.

Windows has had lots of "standard" GUIs in its time, although
adherence to UI guidelines tends to be rather more lax than on the Mac
(in particular, Microsoft doesn't seem particularly interested in
following the guidelines which they suggest for other developers).

I would expect the non-native appearance to be more of an issue on the
Mac, partly because UI guidelines tend to be more strongly adhered to
there, but mainly because Unix GUI toolkits tend to be more heavily
influenced by the Windows GUI than by the Mac GUI, so the difference
is less noticable on Windows.