[GRASS-dev] Python GUI toolkits

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Wed Jun 7 20:01:49 EDT 2006

Michael Barton wrote:

> Perhaps a more important question. The GTK apps I know of (GIMP for example)
> need x11 to run on my Mac. Can GTK apps run without x11? In Aqua on Macs? In
> (whatever it is) on Windows?

There is a native MacOSX port of GTK under development:

	http://developer.imendio.com/wiki/Gtk_Mac_OS_X

However, it doesn't appear to be as mature at the Windows port yet:

	http://developer.imendio.com/wiki/Gtk_Mac_OS_X/Things_to_do

Of the items on that list, most seem to be related to applications
which do their own low-level event handling and drawing, rather than
more typical UIs built from standard widgets. Some of them could be
relevant to the display canvas, though.

The most serious issues seem to be:

 Menus/pop up windows

    * These are currently buggy and need fixing. (medium)

 Miscellaneous

    * Currently GTK+ runs only on Tiger. This should perhaps be fixed. (medium) #322372

    * Bugs, bugs, bugs :) Just pick one and fix it! :)

So far as Windows is concerned, I use GIMP, Pan and X-Chat on Windows
using the native GTK port. They have a few rough edges, but those are
all quite minor. The UI appearance is no less "native" than e.g.
Delphi applications.

Given the number of Windows users who seem willing to tolerate stuff
like WinAmp, I don't see any reason to worry about the differences
between GTK and the standard Windows/MFC controls.

Admittedly WinAmp-style UIs don't seem to have caught on for "serious"
applications, although I've seen plenty of "Easy Photo Album" programs
(usually bundled with scanners, digital cameras etc) which seem to go
out of their way to avoid looking like normal Windows applications
(e.g. most of the icons look like they belong on a toy aimed at the
pre-school age group).