[GRASS-dev] Python GUI toolkits

David Finlayson david.p.finlayson at gmail.com
Thu Jun 8 00:36:04 EDT 2006

In contrast to GTK, wxPython appears to be mature for all
platforms---at least there are no major warnings on the download page
(other than a note about Universal binaries)

The screenshots page shows examples from all of the major platforms:

http://www.wxpython.org/screenshots.php

I think that the demo that comes with wxPython would be an excellent
test of the look and feel across platforms. Can someone try it out on
OSX? I know that the demo program works well on Linux (Ubuntu/Gnome =
GTK) and Windows. I haven't tried it on a QT system. It is impressive
how little code is required to build the demo programs.

Personally, I like the idea that it will blend in with the rest of my
desktop. I think you get all the integration for free. The toolkit
abstracts out the differences between platforms. There would be no KDE
vs Gnome choice that needs to be made since wxWidgets handles will
work with QT or GTK depending on the installed packages.

I don't really know. I've only programmed toy applications with it.

On 6/7/06, Glynn Clements <glynn at gclements.plus.com> wrote:

> Michael Barton wrote:
>
> > Perhaps a more important question. The GTK apps I know of (GIMP for example)
> > need x11 to run on my Mac. Can GTK apps run without x11? In Aqua on Macs? In
> > (whatever it is) on Windows?
>
> There is a native MacOSX port of GTK under development:
>
>         http://developer.imendio.com/wiki/Gtk_Mac_OS_X
>
> However, it doesn't appear to be as mature at the Windows port yet:
>
>         http://developer.imendio.com/wiki/Gtk_Mac_OS_X/Things_to_do
>
> Of the items on that list, most seem to be related to applications
> which do their own low-level event handling and drawing, rather than
> more typical UIs built from standard widgets. Some of them could be
> relevant to the display canvas, though.
>
> The most serious issues seem to be:
>
>  Menus/pop up windows
>
>     * These are currently buggy and need fixing. (medium)
>
>  Miscellaneous
>
>     * Currently GTK+ runs only on Tiger. This should perhaps be fixed. (medium) #322372
>
>     * Bugs, bugs, bugs :) Just pick one and fix it! :)
>
> So far as Windows is concerned, I use GIMP, Pan and X-Chat on Windows
> using the native GTK port. They have a few rough edges, but those are
> all quite minor. The UI appearance is no less "native" than e.g.
> Delphi applications.
>
> Given the number of Windows users who seem willing to tolerate stuff
> like WinAmp, I don't see any reason to worry about the differences
> between GTK and the standard Windows/MFC controls.
>
> Admittedly WinAmp-style UIs don't seem to have caught on for "serious"
> applications, although I've seen plenty of "Easy Photo Album" programs
> (usually bundled with scanners, digital cameras etc) which seem to go
> out of their way to avoid looking like normal Windows applications
> (e.g. most of the icons look like they belong on a toy aimed at the
> pre-school age group).
>
> --

David Finlayson