[GRASS-dev] Python GUI toolkits

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Thu Jun 8 03:19:44 EDT 2006

I just downloaded and installed wxPython, Activestate's Python for Mac,and
the wxPython sample/demo/docs package.

I ran the demo and it looks great. I think that people would be thrilled to
have this look for GRASS on a Mac.

The demo code *looks* very short and easy--but I don't know what is involved
to put it all together.

A very important aspect that I don't know is if creating GUI code on my Mac
in wxPython would run the same on Linux and Windows.

Also, how easy would it be to port a piece of pyGTK code to wxPython? I
realize that they are running different underlying platforms (though I
noticed that the wxPython docs say you need GTK for the Linux version). But
since they are both Python, doesn't that make the syntax somewhat similar???

Can anyone advise?

Michael
Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
Arizona State University