[GRASS-dev] Python GUI toolkits

Wolf Bergenheim wolf+grass at bergenheim.net
Thu Jun 8 04:15:31 EDT 2006

On Thu, 8 Jun 2006, Michael Barton wrote:

> Also, how easy would it be to port a piece of pyGTK code to wxPython? I
> realize that they are running different underlying platforms (though I
> noticed that the wxPython docs say you need GTK for the Linux version). But
> since they are both Python, doesn't that make the syntax somewhat similar???
>
> Can anyone advise?

If we choose pyGTK it means we can develop the UI with PyGlade, and it
generates pyGTK code + xml files for libglade to parse. And that is AFAIK
the thing that makes developing with pyGTK so quick. And that is IMO why
this combination is the strongest candidate.

As for porting pyGTK to wxPython, well don't even think about it (; It is
IMO better to code for wxPython directly.

Read here more about this:
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/7421
+ resources: http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/7558
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/6586