[GRASS-dev] Python GUI toolkits

Wolf Bergenheim wolf+grass at bergenheim.net
Thu Jun 8 04:39:19 EDT 2006

On Thu, 8 Jun 2006, Wolf Bergenheim wrote:

> On Thu, 8 Jun 2006, Michael Barton wrote:
>
>>  Also, how easy would it be to port a piece of pyGTK code to wxPython? I
>>  realize that they are running different underlying platforms (though I
>>  noticed that the wxPython docs say you need GTK for the Linux version).
>>  But
>>  since they are both Python, doesn't that make the syntax somewhat
>>  similar???
>>
>>  Can anyone advise?
>
> If we choose pyGTK it means we can develop the UI with PyGlade, and it
> generates pyGTK code + xml files for libglade to parse. And that is AFAIK the
> thing that makes developing with pyGTK so quick. And that is IMO why this
> combination is the strongest candidate.
>
> As for porting pyGTK to wxPython, well don't even think about it (; It is IMO
> better to code for wxPython directly.
>
> Read here more about this:
> http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/7421 + resources:
> http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/7558
> http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/6586

Looking for a RAD for wxWidgets + Python I found wxGlade:
http://wxglade.sourceforge.net/

That makes me lean toward wxWidgets again, but on the other hand I like
the idea of using GTK (or QT) since then we could have a constant GRASS
look, instead of having a native look. But making it easier to install
GRASS is more important IMHO.

--W

--

<:3 )---- Wolf Bergenheim ----( 8:>