[GRASS-dev] Python GUI toolkits

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Fri Jun 9 02:50:43 EDT 2006

Joel Pitt wrote:

> > Would pyGTK it need to have libglade on all platforms?
> > Or just for development?
>
> If you design the GUI with glade then you need libglade at runtime.
> pyGTK does not *need* libglade to be used, and I'm somewhat hesitant
> about having libglade required across platforms. IMHO glade is great
> for prototyping, but for clean and well designed code - especially
> with regards to OO encapsulation of GUI elements - then writing the
> GUI directly with pyGTK is best.

I disagree. If you view Glade merely as a development tool, then it
doesn't provide any advantage to the user over coding the GUI.

However, I tend to view external UI descriptions such as Glade or UIL
(the same thing, but for Motif) as user configuration files. If the
user doesn't like the placement of buttons or menu items, or their
shortcuts etc, they can just edit the UI description. Similarly, if
they don't use certain features, they can just remove unnecessary
widgets from the UI.