[GRASS-dev] Python GUI toolkits

Joel Pitt joel.pitt at gmail.com
Fri Jun 9 18:50:29 EDT 2006

On 6/9/06, Glynn Clements <glynn at gclements.plus.com> wrote:

> Joel Pitt wrote:
> > > Would pyGTK it need to have libglade on all platforms?
> > > Or just for development?
> >
> > If you design the GUI with glade then you need libglade at runtime.
> > pyGTK does not *need* libglade to be used, and I'm somewhat hesitant
> > about having libglade required across platforms. IMHO glade is great
> > for prototyping, but for clean and well designed code - especially
> > with regards to OO encapsulation of GUI elements - then writing the
> > GUI directly with pyGTK is best.
>
> I disagree. If you view Glade merely as a development tool, then it
> doesn't provide any advantage to the user over coding the GUI.
>
> However, I tend to view external UI descriptions such as Glade or UIL
> (the same thing, but for Motif) as user configuration files. If the
> user doesn't like the placement of buttons or menu items, or their
> shortcuts etc, they can just edit the UI description. Similarly, if
> they don't use certain features, they can just remove unnecessary
> widgets from the UI.

Good point Glynn. Guess I spend too much time thinking from a
developers perspective.

If we use wxPython/wxGlade then it is worth noting that XRC files can
be generated that perform a similar role to glade xml files:
http://wxwidgets.org/manuals/2.6.3/wx_xrcoverview.html#xrcoverview

--
-Joel

"Wish not to seem, but to be, the best."
                -- Aeschylus