[GRASS-dev] Python GUI toolkits

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 9 03:13:17 EDT 2006

> Each time we finish a GRASS GIS lab session (3-4 hours), i run the
> script of the whole lab in 1-2 minutes in front of the students, you
> should see their reaction!
>
> Such "assisted" scripting capability would be a serious advantage for
> fastening the learning curve to advanced level processing. Aggreed,
> not all processing can be done scripting-side, but surely a lot can be
> done. Besides, GRASS GIS is changing fast, having a way to list &
> pick-up commands can really help out here.

I got to know the GRASS modules by cutting and pasting the command line
versions from the old GRASS 5 GUI menus into a text editor diary. At
some point I needed to loop some things for 365 days, figured out how to
do this in Bash, and then nice things happened to my productivity levels.

We can do this now with d.m and gis.m (some quoting required) in GRASS 6.

Hamish