[GRASS-dev] Python GUI toolkits

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 9 05:47:33 EDT 2006

> Granted, a reason for switching from TclTk to another GUI platform is
> that it gives us richer options for a GUI (we already have very rich
> CLI options). But it seems better to begin to explore those by
> improving on the design specs we now have, rather than starting from
> scratch. And to be honest, if the idea of learning Python (I've
> already started, given that it is summer and I can work it in around
> writing and analysis) seems a little daunting, the idea of learning
> Python, building a GUI, AND redesigning the GUI from the ground up
> seems exhausting.

If we can pick wxWidgets or pyGTK, then we can start with the frontends:

py.digit (r.+v.), py.rectify (incl points, groups, v.trans, the new i.3
code, i.ortho?,..), py.profile, py.psmap, py.mapset, py.projection,
py.startup ... After that & we are all better informed we can worry
about replacing gis.m. --with-python can be optional until things are
well ready.

Managable small steps.

Hamish