[GRASS-dev] Python GUI toolkits

Jachym Cepicky jachym.cepicky at centrum.cz
Fri Jun 9 06:09:47 EDT 2006

Hallo,
On Fri, Jun 09, 2006 at 09:47:33PM +1200, Hamish wrote:
> If we can pick wxWidgets or pyGTK, then we can start with the frontends:
>
> py.digit (r.+v.), py.rectify (incl points, groups, v.trans, the new i.3
> code, i.ortho?,..), py.profile, py.psmap, py.mapset, py.projection,
> py.startup ... After that & we are all better informed we can worry
> about replacing gis.m. --with-python can be optional until things are
> well ready.
>
> Managable small steps.
>
> Hamish

all these tools do need one common thing: py.monitor. Currently
v.pydigit, g-ps.map ... do have own drawingarea and I see, this is not
the best approach.

so I would suggest, working py.monitor should be the *first* step
towards new gui. Than you can add toolbars and new functoins for
digitizing/rectifing/...

I have posted on http://les-ejk.cz/tmp/py.monitor.png my imagination
(very draft) of how monitor such these could look like. It is assumed,
that it would be able to "listen" to the console commands and add tham
automaticly to stack of command under the map area. The way currently
gis.m is doing things are IMHO good, I just would not add another window
on the destop.

What do you thing?

Jachym
--