[GRASS-dev] A portible shell for GRASS 7+ ?

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Fri Jun 9 18:54:03 EDT 2006

Although this sounds grim, it actually may not be as bad as it seems. Most
are x11 issues, and many have new TclTk equivalents. See below.

Michael
Arizona State University

phone: 480-965-6213
fax: 480-965-7671

> From: Glynn Clements <glynn at gclements.plus.com>
> Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2006 21:28:22 +0100
> To: Michael Barton <michael.barton at asu.edu>
> Cc: "Laurent C." <lrntct at gmail.com>, Wolfgang Zillig <wollez at gmx.net>,
> grass-devel <grass-dev at grass.itc.it>
> Subject: Re: [GRASS-dev] A portible shell for GRASS 7+ ?
>

> Michael Barton wrote:
>
>> If someone could compile the existing Windows native code with the d.modules
>> and gis.m intact, and start it up using native Windows wish it should run
>> theoretically. But I don¹t know how to do this and so can¹t test it. It
>> would be good to know if our efforts in this direction are helpful, though.
>
> I can get most of GRASS to compile on Windows without Cygwin (this
> relies upon the not-yet-committed changes to libraster to allow
> driver-less rendering).
>
> However, there appear to be some fundamental problems with the MSVC
> run-time, e.g. fseek() doesn't work on files opened for update
> ("wb+"), so I wouldn't expect it to run.
>
> FWIW, the portions which fail to compile are:
>
> lib/fonts/for_grass
> lib/vector/diglib
>
> Both due to fseek() issues.

These may be the most problematic

> display/d.colors
> raster/r.le/r.le.trace
>
> Undefined reference to sleep()

Neither needed for most GIS work.
d.colors requires x11 anyway and would not run without Cygwin

> display/d.mon/pgms
>
> Undefined reference to ttyname()

Don't know what this might do

> vector/v.digit
>
> Undefined reference to gettimeofday()

Requires x11 and wouldn't run anyway without Cygwin

> imagery/i.ortho.photo/photo.2image
> imagery/i.ortho.photo/photo.2target
> imagery/i.points
> imagery/i.vpoints
>
> Missing <sys/wait.h>

i.points and v.points require x11 and replaced by TclTk georectifier. Have
to do without i.ortho.photo, but this is a specialized application.

> imagery/i.class
>
> Undefined SIGTSTP

It would be nice if this worked.

> imagery/i.ortho.photo/photo.rectify
> imagery/i.rectify

i.rectify needs to work for the georectifier, but doesn't need to run in x11
interactive mode.

> Both define a symbol "compress" which conflicts with zlib.
>
> display/d.paint.labels
> raster/r.support/modcats
> raster/r.support/modcolr
> raster/r.support/modhist
> raster/r.support/modhead
>
> Attempting to use ln/mv on files which don't exist (need to add the
> .exe suffix).

d.paint.lables/d.labels replaced by TclTk equivalent in gis.m. Didn't work
right in TclTk canvas anyway (at least on Mac)
r.support would be nice but not critical