[GRASS-dev] A portible shell for GRASS 7+ ?

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Fri Jun 9 16:28:22 EDT 2006

Michael Barton wrote:

> If someone could compile the existing Windows native code with the d.modules
> and gis.m intact, and start it up using native Windows wish it should run
> theoretically. But I don¹t know how to do this and so can¹t test it. It
> would be good to know if our efforts in this direction are helpful, though.

I can get most of GRASS to compile on Windows without Cygwin (this
relies upon the not-yet-committed changes to libraster to allow
driver-less rendering).

However, there appear to be some fundamental problems with the MSVC
run-time, e.g. fseek() doesn't work on files opened for update
("wb+"), so I wouldn't expect it to run.

FWIW, the portions which fail to compile are:

	lib/fonts/for_grass
	lib/vector/diglib

Both due to fseek() issues.

	display/d.colors
	raster/r.le/r.le.trace

Undefined reference to sleep()

	display/d.mon/pgms

Undefined reference to ttyname()

	vector/v.digit

Undefined reference to gettimeofday()

	imagery/i.ortho.photo/photo.2image
	imagery/i.ortho.photo/photo.2target
	imagery/i.points
	imagery/i.vpoints

Missing <sys/wait.h>

	imagery/i.class

Undefined SIGTSTP

	imagery/i.ortho.photo/photo.rectify
	imagery/i.rectify

Both define a symbol "compress" which conflicts with zlib.

	display/d.paint.labels
	raster/r.support/modcats
	raster/r.support/modcolr
	raster/r.support/modhist
	raster/r.support/modhead

Attempting to use ln/mv on files which don't exist (need to add the
.exe suffix).

This is with only mandatory external dependencies; no Tcl/Tk, PNG,
TIFF, OpenGL etc.