[GRASS-dev] Python GUI toolkits

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Mon Jun 12 02:32:35 EDT 2006

> From: David Finlayson <david.p.finlayson at gmail.com>
> Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2006 21:11:24 -0700
> To: Hamish <hamish_nospam at yahoo.com>
> Cc: Jachym Cepicky <jachym.cepicky at centrum.cz>, <michael.barton at asu.edu>,
> <grass-dev at grass.itc.it>
> Subject: Re: [GRASS-dev] Python GUI toolkits
>
> I agree. I've got half an acre (hectre) of screen and I still can't
> keep the output windows where I can see it. I'm not sure if I have a
> solution. Maybe adding some tabs to the control panel on gis.m so that
> the output can be contained in the same tool?

This has already been suggested. Simply a bit complicated to implement
currently in TclTk because so much else is happening. But I just did a
prototype wxPython/wxGlade GIS Manager with exactly this kind of
configuration: tab for layer tree, tab for options, tab for console. It
makes for a more compact display.

> Personally, I like tools like Jedit that allow you to "latch" windows
> together so that they act and move together (and remember where they
> were put when you launch them next time). I don't like windows popping
> up all over the place in random locations.

Sounds good, but I don't know how to do it. Maybe in the new system?

Michael

Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
Arizona State University

phone: 480-965-6213