[GRASS-dev] Re: [GRASS-user] CVA installation

Benjamin Ducke benjamin.ducke at ufg.uni-kiel.de
Thu Jun 22 03:28:29 EDT 2006

Gary,

several things:

1. The version of r.cva on my homepage was hopelessly outdated. You
would not get that to compile on a recent version of GRASS CVS.
Sorry about this. I just updated the file on my homepage. It will
from now on *only* work with GRASS 6.1 CVS. Please download that
version and try again.
I have tested it with my CVS install (ca. 4-5 days old) and it
works without problems.

2. See my comments below:

> linux:/usr/localsrc/grass61cvs/extman/gem-1.0.rc5 # ./gem
> --install=/usr/localsrc/grass61cvs/cva/AdvancedViewshedAnalysis.tar.gz
> --grass=/usr/localsrc/grass61cvs/grass-6.1.cvs_src_snapshot_2006_06_18
> Uncompressing files...DONE.
> Checking extension...DONE.
>
> WARNING: GRASS version unknown. Extension might not work after
> installation.

this looks bad. Are you 100% sure that the path you have specified
with --grass= points to the install dir not the GRASS sources?
If it is the right path, then there must be a file etc/VERSIONNUMBER
which contains a single line reading:

6.1.cvs

this is the version information for your GRASS installation and GEM
needs to be able to read this file.

> Configuring...DONE.
> Segmentation fault
> linux:/usr/localsrc/grass61cvs/extman/gem-1.0.rc5 # ./gem
> --install=/usr/localsrc/grass61cvs/cva/AdvancedViewshedAnalysis.tar.gz
> --grass=/usr/localsrc/grass61cvs/grass-6.1.cvs_src_snapshot_2006_06_18
> Uncompressing files...DONE.
> Checking extension...DONE.
>
> WARNING: GRASS version unknown. Extension might not work after
> installation.
> Configuring...DONE.
> Segmentation fault

(same thing here, although I admit GEM crashes a bit ungracefully ...)

Make sure you have the right path.

Also, try to copy AdvancedViewshedAnalysis.tar.gz to the same
directory that GEM is installed in and install it from there.

If problems persist, I need a more detailed error log in order to
be able to help you.

./gem --grass=[path] -vi [extension] &> log.txt

and email me 'log.txt'

Good luck,

Benjamin

Benjamin Ducke, M.A.
Archäoinformatik
(Archaeoinformation Science)
Institut für Ur- und Frühgeschichte
(Inst. of Prehistoric and Historic Archaeology)
Christian-Albrechts-Universität zu Kiel
Johanna-Mestorf-Straße 2-6
D 24098 Kiel
Germany