[GRASS-dev] RE: [bug #4726] (grass) g.mapset: MAPSET parameter should default to PERMANENT

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Fri Jun 23 16:37:33 EDT 2006

I agree with Maciek.  This is not a good place to assume what the
user wants to do.

And I, and I'm sure many others, never put data into PERMANENT (and
there are probably many others who do, it's the user's preference),
it's not a very descriptive name for a mapset and it's difficult to
type (in my opinion).  I wouldn't want to accidentally start
importing data into a mapset I hadn't conciously selected.

If you want it to default to a mapset it would be quite simple to
write a shell script, say g.mapset.default, to do this.  It would
then only need to take location and gisdbase params and pass them
on.  At least 'default' is easier to type than 'PERMANENT', or you
can pick something shorter.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"Those people who most want to rule people are, ipso-facto, those
least suited to do it."

- A rule of the universe, from the HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy