[GRASS-dev] RE: [bug #4726] (grass) g.mapset: MAPSET parameter should default to PERMANENT

Patton, Eric epatton at nrcan.gc.ca
Fri Jun 23 15:51:51 EDT 2006

Maciek:
>IMHO this is *not* a good idea. Why should we assume most users will want
>switch most times to PERMANENT and not to any other mapset? I never do, so
>having a default target mapset will only be a problem for me, not help.

Even so, you're doing no more work this way. You would still have had to
type in a new mapset for the mapset parameter. Ok, you are doing slightly
more work in that you have to delete the default entry an type over it, but
for users who are headed to PERMANENT anyway, there's no more typing to be
done. Where before everyone had to type in the mapset parameter, now at
least some people won't have to.

Maciek:
>Besides, switching mapsets should be done in full concious, as you never
can
>say what mapset you are in just at a glance, and this might lead to
undesired
>data manipulation when you have layers of the same name in different
mapsets
>and you switched not to the mapset you meant.

Hm, true. I always just put an alias for g.gisenv in my .grass.bashrc (like
'ev') so I can check quickly on the CLI where I am. Maybe a good idea for
gis.m map displays would be to include the name of the current mapset in the
tcltk canvas titlebar to aid in mapset identification? Michael, what do you
think?

~ Eric.