[GRASS-dev] vm_allocate error

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 29 12:30:10 EDT 2006

On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 22:38:12 -0400
Helena Mitasova <hmitaso at unity.ncsu.edu> wrote:

> has anybody seen (or have an explanation) for the following
> vm_allocate error
> that we got from v.proj when projecting rather large point file on
> Mac running recent CVS GRASS
> (I was able to run v.proj with the same data on a  FC5 machine
> without problem).
> We got similar error from v.surf.rst after 86% done on 5000x5000
> raster (but I was able
> to compute bigger raster on a smaller mac laptop). I am trying to
> find out whether it is the data
> or something specific to Mac (a 2GB memory machine) or a bug that is
> causing this error.

workaround:

use m.proj (or just cs2cs, which m.proj is a front-end for) to reproject
the data and then v.in.ascii to import the data into the target
location.

you can even pipe things:

# assume LL WGS84 input, "tr" and fs= as needed
cat xyz.txt | m.proj -i | v.in.ascii -bt out=xyz_proj

no idea if there is any memory bottlenecks using that method.

Hamish