[GRASS5] Re: gis.m

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Wed Mar 1 13:33:06 EST 2006

Michael Barton wrote:

> The ­e flag in d.what.vect invokes a separate program, the ³form library²
> which includes a TclTk form (and maybe associated C-code? I¹m not sure on
> this).

The form utility ($GISBASE/etc/form/form) is a custom Tcl/Tk
interpreter, i.e. a mix of C and Tcl/Tk. The C code mostly relates to
interfacing with the GRASS database libraries.

The form library includes functions for starting and stopping the form
utility, as well as for generating HTML forms from database tables.

It may be possible to run the form utility directly from gis.m to
provide functionality similar to "d.what.vect -e", although it would
probably be better to bypass it altogether and do the database access
from Tcl via the db.* utilities.