[GRASS5] Re: gis.m

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Wed Mar 1 10:53:09 EST 2006

Kirk,

Thanks for continuing to test the new GIS Manager. V.what is a replacement
for d.what vect because d.what.vect REQUIRES you to interact with a xdisplay
(tektronic emulation) to  work. V.what does not require this. It is like
r.what. It takes input xy coordinates and returns the attributes linked to
the vector feature at that coordinate. V.what is a bit more flexible than
d.what.vect in that you can set the Œsnapping¹ distance. More importantly,
v.what can be used in any GUI and is not restricted to xdisplays, but
returns the same kind of information as d.what.vect. We need to have GRASS
modules that work with interfaces other than the old xmonitors if we want to
build a modern interface for GRASS. V.what does this.

The ­e flag in d.what.vect invokes a separate program, the ³form library²
which includes a TclTk form (and maybe associated C-code? I¹m not sure on
this). This is what allows you to edit the associated attributes for a
vector object. Theoretically, v.what‹or TclTk or other GUI code that calls
v.what‹could also invoke the form library (or something like it) to edit a
record. This would be very handy, though perhaps other methods might be
better‹such as doing a query that selected the associated attribute record
in a GUI table manager like SQLite Browser. IMHO, GRASS needs these kind of
attribute management tools. Moving to a new display model that does not
depend on a specific, antiquated display technology, will give us much more
flexibility to develop such tools.

Michael
Arizona State University
Tempe, AZ 85287-2402