[GRASS5] Layers in vectors

Radim Blazek radim.blazek at gmail.com
Fri Mar 3 05:23:49 EST 2006

The multilayer concept makes possible effective and precise
storage and maintanance of topologicaly related layers.

Example 1 topographic map:
Fields, forests and lakes can be stored in one vector. Adjacent forest
and lake can share the same boundary, but they have separate attribute
tables. It is also possible to attach attributes to boundaries. For
example, the boundary between lake and forest is a road with different
attribute table. Try to download and explore this example mapset:
http://mpa.itc.it/radim/g51/g51test-12-multi.tar.gz

Example 2 network:
Network arcs (lines) are connected at nodes (points).
Lines and points have different attribute tables.

Example 3 timeseries:
Two tables are attached to each point:
1) general description and measurement summary
2) measurements for certain date (multiple for point)

The multilayer concept is supported by all GRASS modules
and third party applications (QGIS/OGR).
It is one of few advantages GRASS has over other data
formats. It is the same concept which is used by TIGER for example.
At present there is not good time to change the concept.

Radim