[GRASSLIST:10801] Re: [GRASS5] FWD: [OSGeo-Discuss] Incubation Committee / Contributor Agreements]

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Wed Mar 8 09:46:33 EST 2006

On Wed, 8 Mar 2006, Thomas Adams wrote:

> I am not a GRASS developer at this point, but I would *like* to begin
> contributing at some point in the future as some time frees up for me.
> Personally, I prefer the 'R' model and the term "free-enough for most
> people" worries me. Does the R licensing fall under the "free-enough for
> most people" umbrella? If so, then I guess it works out OK. It indeed
> would be a shame to see some of the most productive developers siphoned
> off as Glynn suggests could happen.

No, the approach adopted by the R core developers is very much that
expressed by Glynn. The "free enough for most people" view is a user trap,
making users remain consumers rather than encouraging users to contribute
mutually to development, it makes the user base more passive. It also
deters developers from contributing unless they have security that their
effort and skill will not be abused. It's a matter of confidence within
the broader community of users and developers, where everybody can make a
useful contribution, not least by asking good questions. There are
honest differences of opinion, of course, but the R community is GPL/LGPL
for the core engine and the vast majority of contributed packages.

Roger

--
Roger Bivand
e-mail: Roger.Bivand at nhh.no