[GRASS5] [bug #4157] (grass) Cartographic tools, display

Request Tracker grass-bugs at intevation.de
Wed Mar 8 16:29:18 EST 2006

this bug's URL: http://intevation.de/rt/webrt?serial_num=4157

Subject: Cartographic tools, display

Platform: other
grass obtained from: Mirror of Trento site
grass binary for platform: Compiled from Sources
GRASS Version: 6.0.0

This is a general statement so please read it entirely before rolling your eyes. I have spent many years working for various GIS vendors and I can tell you that in order for GRASS to have wide acceptance it must improve four major areas.
1) Integration. Integration, Integration. GRASS must easly intergrated with other components such as a RDBMS (POSTGIS).
2) User training and support are virtually non-existant.
2) Cartographic ability: layout, design and output are very poor with GRASS and unless it improves it will never be generally accepted. This has always been a problem and I know output is just a pretty picture to some but it is a big factor to many. QGIS is not an intergrated solution BTW.
3) On the fly projections. Need I say more?
Paul