[GRASS5] Re: [GRASSLIST:10870] New GIS Manager adds transparency to layers

Thomas Adams Thomas.Adams at noaa.gov
Fri Mar 10 21:22:03 EST 2006

Michael,

I have installed the GRASS 6.1 CVS release dated 2006_03_04

and followed your instructions in the README in
_http://www.public.asu.edu/~cmbarton/files/grass_gismgr/
<http://www.public.asu.edu/%7Ecmbarton/files/grass_gismgr/>_gism_rc4_20060307.tgz.

First off, the installation using the old d.m works fine — no errors.
When I try the new gis.m, the interface tries to come up, but it stalls
with an error Dialog that reads "Error getting working directory name:
no such file or directory". If I select the Error Dialog 'OK' button,
the GIS manager completes its startup. However, if I select a raster map
to display and click on the refresh button (labeled: "Display active
layers in the current region") in the "Map Display 1" window, I get the
same Error Dialog as I got when I first started up the new GIS Manager
(gis.m). Also, from the time of the startup of the GIS Manager, the
'status indicator' in the lower left of the "Map Display 1" window
shows: "please wait..." — this never goes away.

Interestingly, if I select the NVIZ button, there is no problem
displaying the raster I selected; so, NVIZ seems OK, but the raster map
will never display in 2-D in the "Map Display 1" window…

Also, when I try to use the Init.sh file from gism_rc4_20060307.tgz, I
get shared library problems: "libgrass_gis.so cannot open shared object
file: No such file or directory" — even though the library is in the
GRASS lib directory. I should mention that due to system constraints,
the entire GRASS distribution and other libraries (GDAL, PROJ, etc.) are
in a non-standard location.

A final question: should I be using the gis.m file from
gism_rc4_20060307.tgz? I have tried both with and without…

I'm running on a Redhat Linux system, FWIW…

Tom

--
Thomas E Adams
National Weather Service