[GRASS5] GRASS Add-ons

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Mon Mar 13 15:48:14 EST 2006

On Mon, Mar 13, 2006 at 03:41:55PM -0500, Helena Mitasova wrote:
> My question was about something different and it will be even more
> pressing with the extensions - what will be the rules for extension
> submission?
> e.g.
> - will everybody in world be allowed to submit ?

In general yes, but we need a submission manager to get out
tha "spam".

> - who will test the extensions - are users going to use them at their
> own risk, will there be some incubation period when people will be able
> to use it but it is not yet official extension,

We have to assure high quality. Maybe Benjamin's extension manager
will help?

> - how do you say whether
> "The program/script is non-distructive, well tested, documented
> and of some interest to the public."

Sorry - I just wanted to give an idea. "non-distructive" is really
important (I don't like scripts which erase my home dir).
Documented is nothing impossible. Well tested is hard, we could
says, well tested against Spearfish and other known datasets.

> I am talking from my own experience as I too often push for "unfinished"
> stuff being submitted hoping that making it available will help to
> finish it, this may work if there are 2-3 people like that, but with
> many contributors with this behavior it could create a pretty big mess.
> If half of the submitted extensions do not work properly, this may
> discourage people from using them at all (I have seen this happening
> with ArcGIS extensions).

It's the release-often against the release-good-stuff paradigm.
Probably there is no solution. We have in fact to define
rules as exist in SUBMITTING and SUBMITTING_SCRIPTS.

Markus