[GRASS5] GRASS Add-ons

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Mon Mar 13 16:27:56 EST 2006

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006, Helena Mitasova wrote:

> My question was about something different and it will be even more
> pressing with the extensions - what will be the rules for extension
> submission?
> e.g.
> - will everybody in world be allowed to submit ?
> - who will test the extensions - are users going to use them at their
> own risk, will there be some incubation period when people will be able
> to use it but it is not yet official extension,
> - how do you say whether
> "The program/script is non-distructive, well tested, documented
> and of some interest to the public."
> I am talking from my own experience as I too often push for "unfinished"
> stuff being submitted hoping that making it available will help to
> finish it, this may work if there are 2-3 people like that, but with
> many contributors with this behavior it could create a pretty big mess.
> If half of the submitted extensions do not work properly, this may
> discourage people from using them at all (I have seen this happening
> with ArcGIS extensions).
> I will leave this for now and I am sure that it will come up when the
> extension support becomes available.

The CRAN example from  R is worth examining, and is pretty demanding in
terms of requiring submitted add-ons to pass specific tests, and to
fulfill license requirements if distributed from CRAN. It has the benefit
that the tests also reveal whether changes in GRASS CVS core would break
contributed add-ons. It isn't substantive QA (it doesn't check whether the
contributed code adequately implements what it claims to - the online JSS
and R-News can do that if add-on (package) authors submit papers - only
that it completes a set of tests on its code, documentation, and examples.

It's a lot of work, but is worth it when the add-on mechanism gathers
momentum.

Roger