[GRASS5] rasters?

Andrea Antonello andrea.antonello at gmail.com
Sun Mar 19 07:15:59 EST 2006

Hi Glynn,
thanks for your hint, it helped me solve the problem.

I assume we didn't notice the problem for a long while, since the
 --enable-largefile
option is switched off by default
Only the Macosx binary version seems to have it on by default (and that is how
we noticed it).
Can someone correct me if I'm wrong?

Some lines to clarify (for me mostly):
The first byte of a raster file cast to a number (between 0 and 255) contains
the number of bytes that can be used to store the row addresses in the header
and therefore it also is the limit for raster size, right?

> However, this version shrank the row pointers to 4 bytes if the file
> size was <4Gb (i.e. in most cases).

Alright. Which would look like the proper behaviour to me...

> This didn't work, as it would shrink the pointers when the file was
> empty, then enlarge them again if the file was >=4Gb when it was
> closed, overwriting the beginning of the data.

Alright, I understand what happens, but does this mean that that byte is now
always set to 8 is the LFS is enabled?

Best regards,
Andrea

HydroloGIS - Environmental Safety Modelling
www.hydrologis.com

Andrea Antonello
Environmental Engineer
mobile:  +393288497722

"Let it be as much a great honour to take as to give learning,
if you want to be called wise."
Skuggsja' - The King's mirror - 1240 Reykjavik