[GRASS5] New GRASS addons CVS repository?

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Sun Mar 19 14:41:53 EST 2006

Hi,

Martin Wegmann and me would like to suggest to
open a new "addons" CVS repository in parallel
to grass6/.
We are receiving more frequently now new code
submissions which may need to be worked on.
An example is r.li where other parties want to
add more fragmentation indices etc. Since r.li
with a single index isn't ready for the main
CVS in my opinion, we should help people to
use the CVS capabilities for distributed
development. However, we should also seek to
accumulate good stuff in a single place rather
than having pieces scattered over the internet.

Suggestions:
- add new GRASS Extensions Manager (GEM) to main CVS
  when available and functional
- create new "addons" (or however named) repo to
  CVS
- use this as "incubator" (Apache speech)
- people can use GEM to add stuff from addons into
  their copy of GRASS
- move stable code, if of interest to the general
  GRASS community, into main CVS repo

This is very similar to the old src.contrib/ in GRASS
4.x and 5.x. But in this case it would be a separate
CVS repository to not fill the main CVS repo with
less relevant or unmaintained code.

r.lake, r.li and other goodies from the addons section
are good candidates for a new "addons" CVS repository.

Opinions welcome...

Markus