[GRASS5] New GRASS addons CVS repository?

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 19 19:37:02 EST 2006

> Martin Wegmann and me would like to suggest to
> open a new "addons" CVS repository in parallel
> to grass6/.

horray! One thing I worry about the add-ons wiki page is code vanishing
when a personal URL link goes down.

> - create new "addons" (or however named) repo to
>   CVS

contrib? experimental? shrug

> - people can use GEM to add stuff from addons into
>   their copy of GRASS

requires all add-ons to figure out a GEM makefile, but that can be
done with help once in the CVS

> - move stable code, if of interest to the general
>   GRASS community, into main CVS repo

grass6/ is restricted to GPL, often code the GEM will integrate may
not be GPL. Will grass6-addons/ (or whatever) CVS be limited to GPL?
How to police that or at least keep the module's license clear?
A "COPYRIGHT" file required in every module's main dir?
(e.g. the viewshed module?)

> Opinions welcome...

The nice thing about the Wiki is the low barrier to entry to anyone.
Can submitters to the new repo be given rights to their own dir or do
they need general write permission on everything at Intevation's CVS?

Hamish