[GRASS5] New GRASS addons CVS repository?

Radim Blazek radim.blazek at gmail.com
Mon Mar 20 03:33:23 EST 2006

On 3/19/06, Markus Neteler <neteler at itc.it> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Martin Wegmann and me would like to suggest to
> open a new "addons" CVS repository in parallel
> to grass6/.
> We are receiving more frequently now new code
> submissions which may need to be worked on.
> An example is r.li where other parties want to
> add more fragmentation indices etc. Since r.li
> with a single index isn't ready for the main
> CVS in my opinion, we should help people to
> use the CVS capabilities for distributed
> development. However, we should also seek to
> accumulate good stuff in a single place rather
> than having pieces scattered over the internet.
>
> Suggestions:
> - add new GRASS Extensions Manager (GEM) to main CVS
>   when available and functional

Yes GEM should be added to CVS.

> - create new "addons" (or however named) repo to
>   CVS

I think that CVS is too rigid for this purpose. I think that to add
a new or modified new module to the repository should be
as easy as possible, something like Wiki where everybody
can register and add a module.
We cannot give CVS account to everybody who wrote a simple
script but we want to make the script available for everybody.

When a module is mature enough and it is of general purpose
it can be added directly to GRASS CVS.

Radim