[GRASS5] [bug #4214] (grass) r.info: new timestamp effort is ambiguous

Request Tracker grass-bugs at intevation.de
Mon Mar 27 09:23:47 EST 2006

this bug's URL: http://intevation.de/rt/webrt?serial_num=4214

Subject: r.info: new timestamp effort is ambiguous

Hi,

the new Timestamp: field displayed r.info:

 | Timestamp: 27.3.2006 00:00:00 to none                          |
 |----------------------------------------------------------------|
 |   Type of Map:  raster               Number of Categories: 1   |
 |   Data Type:    CELL

This is bad. It should just paste the timestamp as a string the same as
r.timestamp does. The current r.info way is ambiguous when day<13 and most
people in the US* probably aren't even aware that it can by listed in
a way other than month/day/year! A straight dump of the string keeps
the months in english, if anything string munging** should happen in r.info
to change Jan,Feb,Mar,... to _("January"),_("February"),_("March"),...
then the .po files can translate as needed. Maybe as a new fn in
lib/gis/timestamp.c?  G_format_timestamp_l10n() or something.

For now rip out the complicated stuff and just use G_format_timestamp()
GRASS has a well developed datetime library, we might as well use it.

[*] I know cause grew up there
[**] e.g. rebuild string from a G_tokenize() list. (don't edit tokens!)

I know the order is documented in the description of 'r.info -p' but you
only see that if you look for it. year/month/day at least forces you to check.

also 'r.info -p' should follow with a '\n'.

thanks,
Hamish