[GRASS5] [bug #4214] (grass) r.info: new timestamp effort is ambiguous

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 28 02:34:10 EST 2006

> > BTW, the timestamp should probably include the creator's time zone.
>
> this is discussed in the lib/datetime/README document

Also, I pasted the ASCII timestamp specification into the header
comments of lib/gis/timestamp.c yesterday. I am sure it could use
some Doxygenation but don't know that well...

I do not think that the "timestamp" is given to any raster map at map
creation time. It only happens if you specify it. We are not talking
about the "Map creation time" which is saved elsewhere. I understand
this timestamp to be more of a tool for tagging eg LANDSAT images or
orthophotos with their time-of-birth or for work with a time series.

As you can see, timestamp does include the timezone, if given:

 * Absolute [timestamps]
 *
 * The general format for absolute values is:
 *
 * day month year [bc] hour:minute:seconds timezone
 *
 * day is 1-31
 * month is jan,feb,...,dec
 * year is 4 digit year
 * [bc] if present, indicates dates is BC
 * hour is 0-23 (24 hour clock)
 * mintue is 0-59
 * second is 0-59.9999 (fractions of second allowed)
 * timezone is +hhmm or -hhmm (eg, -0600)
 *
 * parts can be missing
 *
 * 1994 [bc]
 * Jan 1994 [bc]
 * 15 jan 1000 [bc]
 * 15 jan 1994 [bc] 10 [+0000]
 * 15 jan 1994 [bc] 10:00 [+0100]
 * 15 jan 1994 [bc] 10:00:23.34 [-0500]
 *

It goes on to describe Relative timestamps.

Hamish