[GRASS5] features needed for 6.2

Radim Blazek radim.blazek at gmail.com
Tue Mar 28 03:02:23 EST 2006

On 3/28/06, Michael Barton <michael.barton at asu.edu> wrote:
> >> What features are missing for 6.2 feature freeze?
>
> With the new work by Cedric Shock, the updated GIS Manager is in
> considerable flux. I think that most of it will be ironed out soon. If we
> don't count things to be fixed, I'd like to at least do the following:
>
> Make a new GRASS start up.
> Make sure that the GEM (GRASS extension manager) is working with the new
> system.
>
> If there is time before a feature freeze, a couple of important items that
> need to be done include:
>
> develop a non-xterm version of v.digit
> develop a non-xterm version of i.points/v.points
> develop a TclTk module that reads v.label files and places labels on the
> screen in nice PS text (I think fairly easy).
> There may be other things, but I don't want to get overambitious ;-)
>
> We might also take this opportunity to think about the following (both of
> which have been discussed):
>
> replacing dbf with sqlite as the default attribute management system
> changing the raster file architecture to something more along the lines of
> the current vector file architecture.

6.0.0 was released a year ago, so we need to create 6.2.0 soon
we cannot start now thinking about major database structure changes
or starting new features.
Especially changeing raster file structure without any format enhancement
would be contraproductive IMO regardless version. That would only
make headache for users. Glynn wants to implement a new raster
format (?) so any changes in raster files should wait for it.
Formats should not change in major release line so any change in
data format which is not backward compatible reults in 7.0.

I am not sure about sqlite, people reported that it is very slow for large
tables. Maybe it can be improved using precompiled queries.

I think that gis.m and GEM should be and 6.2 but we cannot wait
with 6.2 for features which were not even started (v.digit,i.points,...).

Can we start to think about feature freeze circa 30.4. ?

Radim