[GRASS5] features needed for 6.2

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Mon Mar 27 17:36:43 EST 2006

> From: Hamish <hamish_nospam at yahoo.com>
> Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 00:27:53 +1200
> To: <grass5 at grass.itc.it>
> Subject: Re: [GRASS5] New GIS Manager
>
>> What features are missing for 6.2 feature freeze?
>
> I would like to include changes to allow symbol/icon drawing functions.
> I have it working (called from d.graph), but a few structural things
> remain to be finalized.
>
> currently I have
>
> int S_plot(SYMBOL *Symb, int x0, int y0,
>        SYMBCOLOR *line_color, SYMBCOLOR *fill_color);
>
> e.g.
>  Symb = S_read ( sname );
>  S_stroke ( Symb, size, rotation, tolerance );
>  S_plot(Symb, x0, y0, line_color, fill_color);
>

> I also need to figure out how to do it without Vect_new_line_struct(),
> Vect_append_point() etc to store polygon verticies as I don't want it
> to depend on the vector lib, but they are oh so handy to use.
>

> Hamish

With the new work by Cedric Shock, the updated GIS Manager is in
considerable flux. I think that most of it will be ironed out soon. If we
don't count things to be fixed, I'd like to at least do the following:

Make a new GRASS start up.
Make sure that the GEM (GRASS extension manager) is working with the new
system.

If there is time before a feature freeze, a couple of important items that
need to be done include:

develop a non-xterm version of v.digit
develop a non-xterm version of i.points/v.points
develop a TclTk module that reads v.label files and places labels on the
screen in nice PS text (I think fairly easy).
There may be other things, but I don't want to get overambitious ;-)

We might also take this opportunity to think about the following (both of
which have been discussed):

replacing dbf with sqlite as the default attribute management system
changing the raster file architecture to something more along the lines of
the current vector file architecture.

Michael

Arizona State University
Tempe, AZ  85287-2402