[GRASS5] features needed for 6.2

benducke at compuserve.de benducke at compuserve.de
Thu Mar 30 06:11:08 EST 2006

Re. the current state of GEM:
 The RCs did not trigger as much feedback and bug reports as
 I hoped. From what I got and my own testing I would think
 that GEM is stable enough to go into CVS now. In the next
 days I will smooth out some minor annoyances. Functionality
 is basically where I wanted it to be. For now, I plan no
 major additions.
 The documentation should be sufficient to allow people to
 use the software and design their own extensions.
 For integration into the main CVS, I suggest the following things:

 1. GEM itself is just plain ANSI C. The executable should be
 installed in /usr/local/bin or whatever the user chooses as
 exec path.

 2. The GEM manual in HTML format should be linked to from the main
 index.html page.

 3. A specially formatted comment line needs to go into index.html
 to specify the position at which extensions will install links
 to their own documentation pages (see my last email to this list)

 4. A directory containing a "skeleton" extension should go somewhere
 (maybe in etc? where the user can easily find it)

 I have only used CVS for downloading source code so far. I can
 learn it
 but I don't know when I will be able to, as sessions have started at
 my university. Maybe someone would volunteer to put GEM into CVS?

 Best,

 Benjamin