[GRASS5] Proposal: RFC 1: Project Steering Committee Guidelines

Radim Blazek radim.blazek at gmail.com
Tue May 2 03:53:40 EDT 2006

On 4/28/06, Hamish <hamish_nospam at yahoo.com> wrote:
> A couple of small thoughts,
>
> For a technical committee I would say anyone with write access to CVS
> who has committed something in the last 12 months could vote.
> Can anyone throw together a cvs2cl.pl parsing script to generate that?
>   [invitation for other non-CVS active contributors to speak up now..]
> I don't think this should be all too strict, if someone becomes emeritus
> by a script, it should be simple for them to rejoin by offering a small
> gift of code to the CVS ;). By CVS I mean CVS+Bug Tracker+ future SVN
> documentation team. I know there are a lot of translation people I don't
> know well. How to include them?
>
> For an executive committee I would leave it to fewer people (say 5-7).
> They would be shepherds for copyright, trademark, license, website, etc.
> Hopefully wouldn't have to be used often and work could be passed
> through them to OSGeo :) Obviously they shouldn't (and legally couldn't)
> be making relicensing etc decisions without the approval of the
> technical committee/everyone. The technical committee could vote
> (annually?) on who sits on this, or maybe better it could be
> bootstrapped with nominations and empty seats filled as they become
> vacant (by general tech committee vote).

The decisions of the 'executive committee' you suggest can have
bigger long term impact on the project than decisions of 'technical committee'.

Can you explain better what exactly are your reasons to exclude
most of contributors (you expect 5-7 persons in committee)
from decision making on issues you want to assign to
the 'executive committee'?

I especially worry about the situation when contributors get
discouraged to continue to work on the project because
'someone else' makes decisions while they realy doing the work.

> Leave votes open for 5 days?

At least, we are thinking in months or years in GRASS, never in days.

> Do Glynn's votes on raster matters
> and Radim's votes on vector matters count more than mine? (honestly they
> probably should..) Do I get veto rights on stuff which I am the primary
> or sole author of?

AFAIK there is no reliable system of contribution value measurement
so we have to stick with 1 vote per person.

Radim