[GRASS5] Proposal: RFC 1: Project Steering Committee Guidelines

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Wed May 3 07:19:48 EDT 2006

> The decisions of the 'executive committee' you suggest can have
> bigger long term impact on the project than decisions of 'technical
> committee'.
>
> Can you explain better what exactly are your reasons to exclude
> most of contributors (you expect 5-7 persons in committee)
> from decision making on issues you want to assign to
> the 'executive committee'?

My thoughts were mostly not about strategic votes but who would be
legally responsible if GRASS became registered as a non-profit
corporation (e.g. so individual contributers have some legal shielding;
financial dontations are easier, ...). If we want to defensively
register a trademark or register a domain does this have to be done by,
and under de facto control of, the project leader only? At the other end
it is impractible to have 50 people .. maybe not, many co-ops exist.
Maybe it would be making double work for ourselves and it's better to
pass this sort of thing off to OSGeo board to hold?
??

Certainly it is very bad for important decisions to be made in private
by a few people, I wasn't thinking about that.

I am more interested in finding an answer to the general voting rights
question-

Anyone who has committed something to CVS* in the last year can vote?
* plus bug tracker, documentaion, translation maintainers too, somehow.
  (who else do I forget? Packaging teams?)

If we just set up some voting schedule and results are too wild, how can
changing it later be seen as anything but a power-play by some? It's very
important to get this right the first time.

Hamish