[GRASS5] Re: [GRASS] WMS -> CVS

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Wed May 3 03:01:54 EDT 2006

> I committed the big collection of r.in.wms scripts to CVS. Three of
> them are visible publically: r.tileset, r.in.wms,

"r.in.wms -l" doesn't work for me.

using the example onearth server on the man page I see wget run, but
then no output and just a prompt. Using terraserver,

G61> r.in.wms mapserver=http://terraserver.microsoft.com/ogcmap6.ashx -l
[...]/16132.0capabilities.xml' saved [421]

error: Opening and ending tag mismatch: br and body
error: Opening and ending tag mismatch: br and html
error: Extra content at the end of the document
G61>

commenting out the rm tempfile line I see the problems:

G61> r.in.wms mapserver=http://wms.jpl.nasa.gov/wms.cgi -l
$ cat 16193.0capabilities.xml
<?xml version='1.0' encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no" ?>
<!DOCTYPE ServiceExceptionReport SYSTEM
"http://www.digitalearth.gov/wmt/xml/exception_1_1_0.dtd ">
<ServiceExceptionReport version="1.1.0">
 <ServiceException>
   Service denied due to system overload. Please try again later.
 </ServiceException>
</ServiceExceptionReport>

G61> r.in.wms mapserver=http://terraserver.microsoft.com/ogcmap6.ashx -l
$ cat 16210.0capabilities.xml
<h3>Service Exception Report</h3>

Other issues:

I am not a fan of leaving the raw downloads in $GISDBASE.
Perhaps put in $MAPSET/.tmp/$HOST/... ?
i.e. I'd prefer a flag to KEEP the raw download, not to delete it.

I too am a big fan of r.in.onearth's simplicity, even if it is
somewhat redundant. Cedric's version doesn't replicate r.in.wms, it acts
as a frontend to it.

Wish:
g.tempfile needs a -d switch to create+return a dir in
$MAPSET/.tmp/$HOST/ instead of the user creating a file +tricks to use
that name as a tmp dir.

thanks,
Hamish