[GRASS5] gis.m limitation

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Wed May 3 15:14:09 EDT 2006

Cedric,

Unless there is a lot more changed than is clear here, it is a mistake to
remove the zoom to current region button. The standard display button IS
acting incorrectly as you describe it below, but didn't behave that way
previous to recent changes in display architecture. The left button should
never respect the generic region (set by g.region from the shell) but only
respect the region specific to that particular display.

Let me explain. Each display monitor needs to have an independent region
setting. That is, you should be able to zoom to one resolution and extents
in one display and a different resolution and extents in another. This is
the reason for the zoom to current region button. A particular display
should adopt the current region setting (i.e., generically set with
g.region) only if you explicitly tell it to do so. Otherwise, its region
settings should be completely independent of any other display. That is why
each display has its own saved region (mon1, mon2, etc). This makes it
possible to show a region in one display and the close up of a city in
another. In the same way, each display has its own independent layer tree
and can show a different set of maps from any other display.

I fear that you have changed it so that all displays now have the same
region settings. If so, it needs to be changed back.

Michael
Arizona State University

phone: 480-965-6213
fax: 480-965-7671