[GRASS5] gis.m limitation

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Thu May 4 01:15:46 EDT 2006

> I think a better solution would have been to have both buttons present
> and possibly two more to zoom to a file.

Hi. Some ideas,

Perhaps all we need better labels.

A clear "monitor 1" title bar at the top of the command list in the
"GIS Manager" window would make it clear which window you are currently
working with. Actually this seems like a perfect place to use tabs.

Clearer labeling could help the confused zoom to region buttons too,
we have:

Zoom to current region and redraw all layers
Return to previous zoom
Zoom to saved region
Zoom to default region

"Zoom to current region" => "Return to original zoom settings"
 (return/revert ?)
"Zoom to current region" is unclear about which "current" we are talking
about*. Try not to use ambiguous words if possible.

[*] Similar on the GUI startup screen: "Path to location" could be read
as "Road to destination". As that page isn't translated**, I can imagine
someone new to the program/jargon trying to figure out what it means
using a dictionary and becoming rather confused...

[**] what are the translation possibilities for TclTk menus and shell
scripts?

but back to gis.m,

I'm not sure what happened to a "set GIS region from current zoom"
button, or if that is wanted?

The monitors should all start up with the GIS region settings, which
initially would be what's in the current WIND.
Only Config->Region->Manage Region should be able to modify that, both
for new monitors and the main mapset setting.

Please double check 'g.region nsres= ewres= -a' has been used where
needed so after zoom/pan in the Map window the region settings are
not left in a fractional state; and that the Map display zoom has not
affected the mapset's WIND file.

Michael: your tooltips are tiny? Mine come out double size.  ?!
Arrow, Zoom in/out, pan, query, ruler, and Save don't have tooltips
on the Map Display windows.

Hamish