[GRASS-dev] Re: [GRASS5] gis.m limitation

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Thu May 4 11:35:40 EDT 2006

> From: Hamish <hamish_nospam at yahoo.com>
> Date: Thu, 4 May 2006 21:47:21 +1200
> To: Michael Barton <michael.barton at asu.edu>
> Cc: <twiens at interbaun.com>, <cedricgrass at shockfamily.net>,
> <grass5 at grass.itc.it>
> Subject: Re: [GRASS5] gis.m limitation
>
> Maybe even more confusing, on X windows it is common for the window
> under the mouse to have the focus automatically (no clicking).

This is what Cedric implemented. I can't for the life of me remember why I
decided against it (I did explore this), since it is considerably more
sensible.

> I think the
> |
> -- Raster 1
> |
> -- Raster 2
>
> tree definently needs to terminate itself in a "Display Monitor 1" bar.

This can be added with minimal hassle. BUT it takes up 1+ line of fairly
limited real estate in the layer tree. Is it REALLY needed given that it is
pretty obvious now that the layer tree switches automatically and very
smoothly as you move the mouse focus from one display to the next?

>> I tried tabs and 1) it is much more difficult than simply switching
>> the layer tree like now;
>
> Limitations? hah! you guys are too good.

You're too kind. I did  try this out and the automatic switching was much
more complicated. Then I got to thinking about the labeling and what if
someone had the audacity to open 10 displays.

I understand what you're getting at, but I think that simpler is better.
Maybe we could make better use of the empty area to the right of the layer
tree for signaling if this is needed.

Also, looking ahead, we've had some discussions about switching much of the
current menu structure to a toolbox metaphor. Trevor Wiens has suggested
tabs to let a user switch from a layer tree tool box to other tool boxes
(e.g., vector network or raster hydrology). This would keep a compact user
control window, while giving an alternative to menus that provides better
access to the several hundred GIS tools in GRASS.

Michael

Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
Arizona State University

phone: 480-965-6213